Saturday, June 29, 2019

The Road to Hana

The road to Hana is 52 miles long, 3 hours, has 617 turns and 56 bridges.  It is not for the faint of heart and there are shirts all over Maui that read, "I survived the Road to Hana."  The road is extremely narrow and many of the bridges are single pass.  Mile markers are your reference point for the things you have listed that you want to see.
We left nice and early at 7:30 to tackle the road.  We were armed with car snacks and of course I was armed with a prescription anti-nausea medications.  (I would learn that medication was no match for the winding road on the way back- the struggle was real and I nearly lost it.). It was so worth it.  The landscape and landmarks are breathtaking and we had a lot of fun caravanning behind everyone else tackling this popular scenic road and stopping along the way to take in the sights.
On our way to Hana we stopped at Ho'Okipa Lookout.  This area is known for experienced surfers since the current is strong and the waves get big.  The sea turtles also love to sun here.  

Surfers waiting for a wave


The sea turtles are so big they blend with the large rocks.
This turtle got friendly with Gracie and gave her a wave.
The road is so windy that LG threw her hands up squealing like riding a roller coster.
The first thing to see on our list on the Road to Hana were the Rainbow Eucalyptus trees.  Can you believe they grow with these beautiful stripes.  They look like someone threw neon. paint on them.  They were really cool.   




I loved the stone bridges.
The waterfalls were beautiful.  Remember that show from the 80's Fantasy Island?  They were beautiful and  reminiscent of that shows intro.  This is called 3 Bears Fall.
This next waterfall was so inviting and we all got in.  Matt actually swam in it and Gracie and I just waded in.  People were diving off the side and the water was so clear and cool.  
 


We made it! 


Our last stop was Wai'Anapanapa State Park, the black sand beach.  It was absolutely the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.  The water was turquoise blue and the sand is deep black.  It was beautiful and a great last stop.  Matt took a swim and Gracie and I put our toes in the black sand and enjoyed the water.   











No comments:

Post a Comment