Thursday, August 11, 2011

Our Kindergarten Girl

 Right before leaving home

A Kindergartner in the car

 Before entering the school



 A sweet moment with her teacher



 She is blessed to have two teachers.

 Big girl

 Wearing her gingerbread headband at pick up


I’ve never contemplated a post for so long.   I knew this day was coming and for weeks I have actually been thinking about it and how I would even begin writing about it.
The range of emotion that comes with being a parent is limitless.  Today was no exception.  I have never felt so proud and excited and yet so sad all at once.
I am blessed, blessed, blessed. I have spent each day of the last four and a half years with the love of my life, right by my side. And today, that all changed. Today, I woke as a mom of a Kindergartner and watched her begin a new chapter in her young little life. 
Lily Grace awoke bright and early and from that moment on, she has beamed with excitement.  After eating a breakfast of her choice (homemade blueberry waffles) she quickly got into her uniform. (which she loves because it twirls) She was so proud and all to happy to pose for pictures.  
Once at school the emotions really started to kick in.  I was trying to hold it together and so was Lily Grace.  I was trying not to cry my eyes out and Lily Grace was trying not to burst from excitement.  She was the first to arrive and was greeted with hugs from her teachers.  It was just the sweetest sight.  My baby was in fact, a big girl.  She was shown around the room and then sat to start on a project.  With one last hug and kiss and a lot of tears, daddy and I said goodbye.  Matt was very supportive today and while he didn't cry, his proud daddy side showed all through him.
Upon pickup she was still excited and couldn't wait to share all about the Gingerbread hunt she had been on, the places she had gone in the building and the new friends she had met.  It was priceless. 
Daddy and I then honored her request with a trip to Build A Bear where she got to enjoy the gift card Gran sent her as a Starting School treat.  Once there, she ran into one of the little girls that joined her at school today and they were both quick to share who the other was.  Too cute!  Once her lamb was all stuffed and dressed, it was off to a special lunch at the restaurant of her choice. It really has been a special, special day.
Lily Grace, thank you for always making me smile.  I will always, always cherish the alone time we have shared. I will certainly miss having you so close by and with that, feeling as though I could protect and shield you from being hurt.  I know however that I need not worry so much about that because other than bugs, you are one of the bravest little girls I know.
Daddy and I are so excited to watch you grow.  We can’t wait to share in your excitement in all that you learn and do.  We look forward to working on homework with you and hearing about your new friendships and class happenings.  And we will always be here to help lift what may feel like the weight of the world off your shoulders when trials come along.  School is about learning in so many ways. 
We are at such peace knowing that you will hear about God each day and learn about your faith.  Remember, even though mommy isn’t there, God always is. 
You, Lily Grace are more than a Kindergartner.  You are a blessing!! We are very, very proud of you and even more proud to be your parents.  We love, love, love you!!

       If I could keep you little, I’d keep you close to me.
But then I’d miss you growing into who you’re meant to be.
                            If I could keep you little… by Marianne Richmond

No comments:

Post a Comment